Thursday, January 29, 2009

The January Transfer Window

January has never been my favorite month. It's usually cold, dark, and grim with only the FA cup and the January transfer window providing me with comfort.

The current economic recession has not helped. The news is full of job cuts and bail outs, so much so that I have now become a News Now junkie hoping for any news of Andrei Arshavin signing for Arsenal. What is more pathetic is that I found myself watching the FA cup 5th round draw via the live text feed on the BBC website. For five minutes on Sunday I was excited, only to be brought back down to earth with the realization that it's the FA cup we are talking about, not the Champions League.

West Brom and Burnley are not as glamorous as Roma. They even sound drab just like the January winter. But let's not get gloomy. The season is now starting to breathe life. We are on an unbeaten run. We are catching up with the leaders of the Premiership and we have a great chance to progress to the FA cup quarter-finals. The 5th round draw was kind to us.

We also have Mr. Arshavin.

Do we need him? Yes.

His signing brings me out of the January blues. It takes me away from the economic downturn and high unemployment figures. I don't care for a defensive midfielder. If we sign one great but the Arshavin deal has been a real saga. It's been long and boring and I want a positive outcome - Andrei in a red Arsenal shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment