Sunday, June 14, 2009

In the Spotlight



'Cesc Fabregas was also on the scoresheet with David Villa netting a fifth in front of a sparse crowd in the mining town of Rustenburg.'

A mate of mine recently trained with some "ex-pros". The 'yeah, I was on the books at 'Derby County' types. The type of guys who aren't ashamed to say things like, 'I've known John Terry since we were 16' - and say it in public. One such character crunched into my mate with what the idjit surely thought was a manly gesture. Luckily, my mate, a great man, was not injured.

I say this to lead into my main point today which is the Confederations Cup. I don't mind the idea in theory. I am not one who hates international football (quite the opposite) and the crowning of an inter-confederation champion at least sounds good. But when Spain are destroying New Zealand and my captain is part of the rout, I am afraid that some New Zealander who plays for XYZ F.C. in Over Here City, West of Somewhere, could go in hard and send our playmaker back to the treatment table. Cesc's participation in this tournament makes me very nervous.

But will it really matter if Pep comes calling?

No comments:

Post a Comment