Wednesday, January 13, 2010

But Why Sol Campbell?

Many Gooners fear that January will have come and gone sans significant new signings. It’s clear that we need cover for Gallas and Vermaelen, but in the form of Sol Campbell??? Why would Wenger sign HIM?

If it happens, this move is one that I’ll have to accept blindly and one for which I’ll just trust our manager. I’ve had sleepless nights thinking about what would happen if one or both of our first choice central defenders suffer long-term injuries. Sol Campbell doesn’t exactly make me feel safer but neither does Senderos.

I’m not so trivial that I’ll dwell on it but it must be said, my issues with Sol are simple; he walked out on his teammates at Half Time of a match. Worse yet, it was a match that we lost. That is as unacceptable as it gets. Why would Wenger sign him?

When Arsene subbed Campbell at Half Time, the AWOL center-half had already been at fault for two West Ham goals. We finished the game with Seb Larsson and Mathieu Flamini at FB, and Johan Djourou and Phil in central defence. It was an awful experience.

Maybe Campbell can still offer something good enough to help us win games. His interviews suggest a hunger that could actually help him push for more than a place on the bench. Well, a First Team place might be a stretch at this point but then why else would Wenger sign him?

He’s played in the EPL for nearly his entire career so there won’t be an assimilation period. There were reports a while back that he could end up at Manchester United. If he signs for us, he at least won’t be lining up for a rival. Heh! Spurs fans could see Sol Campbell winning another trophy in an Arsenal uniform. THAT would be glorious.

If Wenger does sign Campbell, he will have made a serious volte face. Has he seen enough in Sol to give him a contract? I suppose the answer could be yes. Why else would Wenger sign him?

I don’t hold grudges but nor do I forget. I welcome him if Arsene does. We’ll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment