Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Togo

In February I wrote about Togo’s poor display against West Ham. His was a truly disappointing return in a match that we had to win in order to stay in the title race. He looked as bad as he has done since signing for us. I wondered about his value to the club. I wondered if he would regain the hunger and motivation he’d shown last season.

Last night at Villareal, he scored his third goal in the two matches played since returning from injury. It was as spectacular a goal as you’ll see. I saw Thierry Henry attempt the feat at Highbury once against Sunderland but it smashed off the post. Togo took the ball off his chest from a pass lofted by Cesc, and then with his back to goal he went airborne to finish a spectacular overhead volley. A special goal! Thank goodness the two are fit again.

In February I wrote that Togo’s contribution was unacceptable. He has answered me with style. Having scored a brace on Saturday to put pressure on Aston Villa for the last CL place, he’s come good with a crucial away goal in the CL ¼ final first leg.

When he’s fit and playing well, Adebayor is a top, top striker. He is one that no defender would want to face. It's only been two matches but let’s be clear about it, a hungry, fit, and motivated Togo is arguably our top gun.

In parting, I ask you to please consider this; when all our strikers are fit and in form, what team has a better, more well rounded strike force?

Of course Barcelona and Manchester United quickly come to mind but I would go to war with my troops.

No comments:

Post a Comment