Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Should I Stay or Should I Go?


I've seen this before. Patrick Vieira was rumoured to be leaving for Real Madrid each summer of his peak years at Arsenal. It used to bother me to no end. I had to learn to cope with it.

After Patrick left, it was Thierrence's turn. The rumour machine works overtime. I have dealt with it.

Once Henry had left for Barcelona, the (ever imminent) return of Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona became the new bane for the Arsenal faithful. This week has seen headline after headline claim everything from Cesc showdown talks with the manager to mention of Mr. Arsenal in the past tense. The machine has activated the turbo booster. I can deal with it.

There is something that I haven't done in a while. "Five Things" to be exact! It is most appropriate today.

Five Things I Would Never Do:

1 - Worry about links and rumours
2 - Fear that a player cannot be replaced
3 - Keep a player who wants out
4 - Lose sleep over things I don't control
5 - Read a fucking Spurs blog

If Cesc does leave for Barcelona, we will make a hefty profit. I would imagine that there might be a player or two in return as well. An Eto'o/Ibrahimovich/large sum of money type deal would be the minimum requirement. Nonetheless, even if he stays we need to bring in more than just a few new faces in my opinion.

I no longer trust certain players at Arsenal to deliver. They've had time. We cannot afford to wait any longer.

I said five years ago that we were on a four year rebuilding plan. Last summer I called the season just passed the most important in the careers of many players. It has also been the most important for the club since 2006, when we nearly missed out on CL qualification.

Cesc was key to that four year plan. Perhaps more than anybody else. Another four years could see him finally help us win something but let's be clear, the plan has not been successful. Vieira, as hated a figure as he'd become for some fans toward the end of his Arsenal years, and Henry, as resented as he was by some fans, both won things. I would prefer if Cesc stayed and gave it another go. He might be in the best position to force Arsene to buy the players "we think we need".

Keep the Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment